Sunday, May 18, 2014

When the Husband's Away the Children Will Try to Kill You


**WARNING this has been a rough week and this post is filled with anger, bitterness, and frustration**

Dr. Barton is on his second rotation of pediatrics. Since our location doesn't see enough Peds cases in the hospital, all first year residents spend two months out of the medical year working in a bigger city 3.5 hours away. This kind of really sucks when you have kids because you can't really go with them. To top it off it's one of those rotations where they only have four days off the entire month and they work super long days. This doesn't leave much time for visiting or coming home, especially since instead of two weekends off Dr. Barton was given one day each week. That's not very condusive for a seven hour round trip to see the family. It also makes it *almost* not worth the drive alone with two toddlers and being five months pregnant. (We're expecting baby #3 in September!) 

Anyway... basically life is hard right now and I'm not taking it well. I'm going to partially blame the baby hormones (because I can), but it is a fact that my normally sweet children drastically change their behavior when they don't see Dr. Dad very often. This last week they have really been trying my patience. And well, I just haven't passed the test very well. Here are just a few of the trials they have put me through in the last couple of days

Yes, those are bathtub letters that Monkey threw in the toilet (that had just been used) and yes, Princess did try to help by flushing the potty repeatedly causing it to majorly back up. This happened while I was unloading our car from a weekend trip to see my family. 

Yes, that is half the contents of my silver wear drawer and a broken cup on the floor when both girls decided it was a genius idea to climb on the counter while mom quickly used the restroom. 

Yes, that is practically every toy we own dumped onto the floor not even an hour after I had just organized and cleaned the playroom. 

And I didn't even take pictures of the flowers that were pulled off of their stems just two days after I planted them or the bright blue sharpie that was used to color a mural on my wall. Then of course there is the bedtime problems we've been having since Dr. Dad left for this rotation. You know, the one where three hours after we've gone through the bedtime routine of reading books, brushing teeth, putting on pajamas, singing songs, giving multiple rounds of hugs and kisses, both children are still awake and coming out of their bedroom. 

Basically these past two weeks have been super ridiculously hard. I don't feel like a loving mother because I'm struggling with my patience. I don't feel like a supportive wife because I'm angry that Dr. Barton can't be around to help at all. I don't feel like a good person because I'm frustrated and so focused on getting through my day that I can't really manage to think of anyone else around me. This month is hard and I am barely surviving. 

- Clara B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from our readers! Let us know your thoughts.